“In September 2021, social video app TikTok reported 1 billion monthly active users worldwide, representing a 45 per cent growth compared to the previously reported figure of 689 million MAU in July 2020”, we read on Statista.
Being so incredibly popular, TikTok presents endless opportunities for your business. What’s best, it’s still relatively unsaturated. That alone makes TikTok ads an excellent addition to your marketing strategy.
It’s time to get ahead of your competitors and master TikTok ads.
But what if you’re new to TikTok? What if you’ve got no idea where to start?
Don’t worry – we’re about to show you why TikTok matters, and how to get started with it.
TikTok User Breakdown – Who’s Going See You?
TikTok is a platform most appealing to younger people. Gen Z, the “trendsetters”, are its primary user group.
This is crucial to know who going’s to interact with your TikTok ads.
Another survey from Statista gives us a whole bunch of data on it.
- 25% of TikTok users are aged between 10 and 19
- 22.4% of them are in the age category of 20-29
- Both age groups of 30-39 and 40-49 represent a similar number of users – about 21% each
While TikTok remains insanely popular, it’s definitely an age-specific platform. Keep it in mind to avoid misfiring with your campaigns. If you target older audiences, TikTok ads may not be the solution you’re looking for.
Advantages of TikTok Ads
You might be wondering: why should you bother with TikTok ads? After all, there’s the twice-as-big Facebook. Google Ads are also still a viable option (and those will be better for those previously mentioned older audiences).
But there are a few factors that make TikTok stand out. Let’s take a look.
- Engaged audience. TikTok is proud of its engaged audience. On other platforms, ad blindness is already a thing. Here, user ad and content responsiveness remain quite impressive.
- Multiple ad formats. From in-feed videos to brand takeovers, your TikTok ads can take a variety of forms and formats. It’s a perfect way to express your business voice and launch campaigns in sync with your branding.
- It grows global, quickly. TikTok ads have power over local audiences, but their reach is global. This is an excellent opportunity if you want to expand to foreign, responsive markets.
- Simple to set up. TikTok ads are simple to create and monitor. Even beginners won’t have problems setting up their first campaign.
- User-generated content. Have you heard of Spark Ads? It’s a feature unique to TikTok that allows you to use other people’s content for your campaigns. It’s not only about less work for you. Spark Ads “ensure that all views, comments, shares, likes, and follows gained from boosting the video during the promotion are attributed to your organic posts.”
Tips on Running Successful Ads on TikTok
But even with all those advantages of the platform, your success isn’t guaranteed.
That’s why below we’ve compiled a few tips on setting up TikTok ads to improve your campaign results.
When it comes to ads, standing out is a no-brainer. It’s true that not every marketer out there has dived into TikTok ads yet. But even in this still rather unsaturated space, users have already plenty of content to engage with.
Yours should be the first one to attract their attention with something memorable.
Use Spark Ads
You’ll need the original creator’s consent to use their content, but Spark Ads are the way to go on TikTok.
- All engagement with that content goes straight to your campaign
- You spend less time creating content
- You’re piggybacking trends and viral posts
Keep it Short and Sweet
Long and overly wordy ads won’t get you anywhere.
Keep it dynamic, short and snappy. Choose fewer concise overlays over multiple text blocks. Nail down your message into something easy to remember. Swap your CTAs for those that get the best response rate.
Always Be Testing
Don’t you ever just publish your campaign and leave it at that.
“Always be testing” is a #1 one for advertising and TikTok ads are no different. Test what performs best and how. You can start with your messaging, channels, and targeting options.
Hashtags are essential on TikTok like on any other social media platform. Make sure to use them correctly to increase your reach.
Don’t forget to keep an eye out for trending hashtags. Hop on those to leverage already created noise.
Be Aesthetically Pleasing
TikTok is very specific when it comes to aesthetics. You’ll need to find the balance between authenticity and aesthetics. Aim for your videos to be cool to look at, but don’t overdo it.
Keep Up With Existing Trends
Always keep your eyes peeled on what’s popular. Whether it’s a content type, ad form or a hashtag.
Include these popular elements in your TikTok Ads to align with the trends. Give your audience what they want to see.
Time It Well
The length of your TikTok ad does matter.
Search Engine Journal found out that “videos that fall between 21 and 34 seconds are ideal for video ads to be effective.”
Be Authentic and Emotional
These two adjectives are the essence of the platform. Make sure your TikTok ads align with this.
TikTok users love content that motivates them and appeals to their emotions. They got tired of supposed social media fakeness from Facebook and Instagram. What they appreciate most, is being authentic.
Leverage the Technical Background
Like we said above, creating and managing TikTok ads is simple. Use this fact to leverage the platform’s technical background.
Make the most of its features. Not only advanced insights and testing are powerful. There are also simpler functionalities such as campaign grouping or lookalike audiences. These also contribute to your success.
TikTok Ads – Over to You
TikTok’s popularity is ever-growing. More and more marketers see the benefit of being present on the platform. And you should be one of them.
Don’t miss this opportunity. Follow our tips to get started with TikTok ads – we’re keeping our fingers crossed for your success!